Like the pokies, keno is a luck based game that requires no particular skill or strategy in order to win. We explain more about this fun number game and where you can play online at the best Internet casinos for the chance to win real money from the comfort of home.
Rules of keno
Although there are many variations of keno, the fundamental basis of the game remains the same across the board. In online keno, you’re given a grid of 80 numbers and you click to place a bet on up to 20 of them in the hopes that your picks will be winners. It’s really as simple as that. Here’s how to play:
- Load the keno game of your choice at one of our recommended keno sites.
- Click the stake buttons to increase or decrease the size of your wager.
- Click on the grid to make your number picks and the payscale to the side of the screen will automatically update to show you how much you stand to win based on how many numbers you’ve chosen.
- Once you’re happy with the bets in place, hit the play button and watch as the random number generator (RNG) picks the winning numbers, with any of your hits automatically being registered and wins credited straight to your casino account.
Keno makes a great choice for casino newbies, or those who prefer to steer clear of strategy based games like blackjack or poker, which is why it’s so popular amongst pokies fans. Online play allows you to avoid the fuss of heading to your local pub, newsagency, petrol station or lotto outlet to physically mark your picks with a pencil on a keno ticket, while enjoying the engaging nature of computerised games and the benefits offered by online casinos.
Internet keno games
In Australia, there’s typically one game of keno available in each state, which is run by the states lottery commission. Across the country these keno games are more or less the same and they’re all very basic, offering a bland keno ticket and a dull screen televising the results. In online keno, players benefit from the advanced technology at the disposal of the leading software developers, with games that are bright and colourful and have all kinds of added features.
Keno Kick Off – This is keno like you’ve never seen it before, where instead of using a tired old grid, the keno board is made up of a soccer field, complete with crowd cheering on the side. Click on the numbered sections in the field to make your picks, then watch as the soccer players run out and kick balls into place to see if you’ve predicted some winners.
Monkey Keno – Monkey Keno uses a standard format with a fun spin on game play, which is exactly what online games are all about. This keno game takes you to the tropics, with a grid set within a colourful backdrop of palm trees and turquoise oceans. Once you’ve clicked to make your picks, the cheeky monkeys sitting at the top of the trees will throw coconuts on the grid to reveal the winning numbers, allowing a maximum win of up to 10,000 times the size of your bet.
Other online titles you may come across include Jackpot Keno, KenoLab and Kenotronic, all which are available at Emu Casino.
Best keno sites for Aussie players
Despite its popularity, keno isn’t as widely available online as we would like it to be, with most vendors only offering one or two keno variants as opposed to the hundreds of pokies you’ll find available. If you’re looking for a safe and trustworthy online casino to play keno for real money bets using Australian dollars, we recommend these sites:
Not only do these sites accept a range of trusted AU-dollar payment methods, they also offer the option of free play in practice mode, so even if you’re brand new to keno you can give it a go to see if you like the online format before committing to any real money wagers.
Keno at these casinos is available for instant-play directly over your Web browser with no downloads needed. You’ll also receive some exclusive welcome bonuses when signing up using our links, with matched deposits giving you extra money to play with, on the house.
Advantages of playing keno online
If heading to buy your keno picks from your local newsagency or lotto outlet has become part of your usual routine, you may be wondering what the benefits are of switching to online play. Playing keno online offers many benefits, including:
- You can enjoy playing on your laptop or mobile from the comfort of home without having to make the trip out to your local keno retailer.
- There are many more keno variants available online, with interactive games that provide a lot more entertainment than the stale old keno tickets and screens provided by state lotteries.
- Betting limits are much more lenient online, so you can play keno for lower or higher bets to better suit your bankroll.
- Online games are available 24/7 so you can play at any hour of the day to suit your schedule.
- Any winnings you make from online keno are automatically credited to your casino account, so you’ll never have to worry about losing a winning keno ticket again.
- Every time you place a real money bet at an online casino, you’ll earn reward points as part of the casinos loyalty program, which can eventually be transferred into casino credits and free spins.
- Online casinos offer all kinds of bonuses and promotions you’d never get from your land based keno outlet, including matched deposit bonuses, free bets, cashback offers and many exclusive one-off promos and comps for registered players.
As you can see, there are many advantages to playing keno online. If you’ve already signed up for an account with one of our recommended pokies sites, the great news is that you can play keno at any of these venues if it’s on offer without having to sign up for an additional account. Keno is often favoured by pokies players thanks to its luck-based format, making it a great game to give a whirl between spins on the slots.